“Health is the greatest possession” – Lao Tzu
We know that weight loss isn’t exactly where our focus should be but we’d like to see total health improvements in our lives. The focus should be on getting fit. So, where should we start? At the doctor’s office of course! What? Why? Didn’t you just say in your last post doctors didn’t always have the right answer? They may not have right answers all the time but these tests are for getting a picture of your baseline health. You will want to ask your doctor for detailed copies of your results so you can go over them yourself and track your improvement.
The tests you should ask for are these:
- Lipid panel for cholesterol
- Blood pressure and heart rate
- Fasting blood sugars
- CBC for blood count
- Basic metabolic panel which will give your docs a good look at a lot of your systems
- Full thyroid panel is super important and you need the exact numbers on these
- Allergies for environments and foods
- Hormone panel to make sure you are where you should be for your age*
- Auto-immune disease testing for celiac and possibly RA or IBS
- Cortisol test to make sure you are handling stressors properly
- Cardiac stress test just to rule out any possible heart disease
- V02 Max for a good picture of your current fitness abilities
- Body fat test; water method is the best method
Based on these tests you can form a picture of your overall health. Listen to your doctor but also research what is right for your age range, gender, and current physical condition if applicable. As for the * on point 8, I feel it’s important to bring up that declining hormones can be supplemented to help soften the blow from aging. This is controversial and has drawbacks in some areas. Many specialists exist in the field of anti-aging medicine and it’s worth a look. Once again, don’t take just one answer and research the information yourself.
Make sure you let your doctor know you want to start a fitness program and ask to see them again in six months to do it all again to check your progress. You won’t need to take certain ones again so it should be less time and out of pocket cost the second time around. Hopefully you won’t find anything out that is too bad but knowing the whole picture allows you to tailor your program to your needs.
Stay tuned for more info in the coming days!