Now that it is officially the “Holiday Season” you’re probably on the go more than ever. It’s easy to get physically and emotionally run down during the winter. Unfortunately, getting the glow on the go starts at home. There is no single product that you can carry in your bag or stash in your desk that will substitute for a healthy home routine. Never fear, glow-getters, there are products and strategies that will help keep you looking and feeling fabulous all holiday season no matter where you are!
I understand “Netflix and Chill ed. Wine” is pretty much the modus operandi of winter but don’t forget to take care of yourself. You don’t have to pound kale chia smoothies like cheap beer or be a gym rat, just be sensible!
You have to eat right in the winter, as your body needs all the support it can get to fight off illness and the effects of the added stressors of the most wonderful time of the year. Focus on eating like a saint at home so you can indulge a bit at parties without worry. Everyone knows how to eat right because the formula is simple: healthy fats, lean protein, loads of veggies, a bit of fruit and complex carbs with a few treats for fun.
Water and hot tea are your friends! It’s so dry indoors and you drink more booze than usual with all the festivities! If you are really dried out, give coconut water or maple water a try!
Focus on healing and de-stressing workouts. Walking, yoga, pilates, and outdoor winter sports all help quiet the mind while challenging the body.
I’m not saying you should spend half your paycheck on supplements, but they can really help. A good multivitamin and some extra Vitamin D and C should be on everyone’s priority list. Omegas, extra B vitamins, and active folate make great additional choices. Probiotics are helpful too! Make sure you get high quality and bioavailable options or you will be pissing your money away, literally. My best tip for a “glow” supplement (if you aren’t vegan or vegetarian) is to add grass fed collagen to your beverages. It’s the perfect thing to help keep your skin, nails, and hair in tiptop shape.
Take extra care of your skin during the winter. It needs more moisture and gentle exfoliation than at any other time of the year! Get a solid routine that works for you and your budget. Consider a humidifier too. If you have access to a sauna, go for a schvitz.
On The Go
My suggestions for keeping your glow on the go are numerous, so you better have a big handbag or backpack ready if you want to employ them all! I rely on medium to large satchels with a cross-body strap to carry my arsenal. I’m currently carrying a Frye and a Sole Society vegan bag just to give you an idea. I have several smaller bags inside my satchel that I use to divide up my stuff into easily identifiable options in a dark purse. I have one bag for “night looks”, one bag for medical/hygiene supplies, one bag for skincare and one bag for my lip wardrobe. I have a few things loose in my purse too that are fairly essential. Let me run you through my hoard!
1. I keep an Epi-pen because I’m allergic to everything. I also usually keep a bottle of Benadryl in my purse too, but I need to refresh it as it just expired.
2. A day’s supply of both my supplements and medication in a ziplock bag. Medications and supplements are easy to forget in a rush or you may need to spend the night somewhere unexpectedly; be like a boy scout.
3. My Wojo shots! I have Energy and Calm formulas to help me along when I’m in a time of crisis! Just add them to water and enjoy the benefits 15 minutes later.
4. A multitasking balm. I’m using Weleda Skin Food right now, but you can use Aquaphor, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream, or if you are tight on space Glossier’s Balm Dotcom. A multitasking balm is non-negotiable in my book for its glow-getter properties. You can use it as a salve on cuts, rashes, scrapes, or blisters. You can moisturize head to toe and soothe lips. It’s great for taming flyaway hair. You can even use it over makeup to add a little discreet sheen by patting it onto the skin. See how important it is!
5. Face mists are another non-negotiable! I prefer ones in a plastic bottle or a metal can for my handbag. Right now, I’m using Gabriel Organics Sea Mineral Tonic, which gets bonus points for being a mini size too! I also like Evian, Caudalie Grape Water, and Glossier’s Soothing Face Mist. These mists soothe skin, moisturize, set or reset makeup, and can help refresh your hair. In a pinch, they can wash out a cut or wash your entire face.
6. Floss picks and disposable toothbrushes! Oral hygiene is where the “glow” begins!
7. Stomach remedies like Pepto tabs and Lactaid. We want glowy, not gassy!
8. A travel deodorant
9. Any femme hygiene supplies, never get caught out…
10. Hand sanitizer isn’t pictured, but I usually have it. I just ran out of my Burts Bees travel size and it’s been discontinued. I need to find an alternative.
Night Look Bag
My night look bag is all about upping my day look to a night look. You never when you might get a last minute invite to something fabulous around the holidays so be ready to spruce up for the evening. These are the products that get me glam fast!
1. A sample container full of whatever foundation I’m wearing. I rarely need to do a full face redo, but I feel more secure having it.
2. A high coverage concealer like NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. It’s a multitasker that can just spot conceal, be sheered out all over, or be used for low profile highlighting or strobing if it’s a bit lighter than your skin tone.
3. Chanel Le Volume mini mascara. Any mini you like will do this one just happens to be a favorite because I can put on one layer at home and a second at the end of the day without clumps or flakes.
4. A Chanel Les 4 Ombres in the color of your choosing. These shadows are hard enough to withstand a few knocks in your bag but soft enough to blend and be usable with the applicator in the compact! Plus, Chanel always puts me in the mood to party!
5. Guerlain Loose Powder Kohl is a classic that turns any eye feline! The Noir color has a slight blue pearl to it that adds a brightening effect on the eye; perfect after a grueling day at the office.
7. NARS Illuminator in Orgasm is a great day to night tool. It refreshes your blush/highlight easily and even over pre-powdered skin if you just pat it on lightly. Off-label uses include eye gloss, lipstick topper, and body highlighter. I’m a little too fair skinned to use it for anything other than a blush or eyeshadow right now.
8. A pressed powder is great to have just in case you need more shine control or to set a touch up of your foundation or concealer.
9. An evening appropriate scent! I love Scentbird, so I get small purse sprays of sexy evening scents and take them with me to help me feel transformed after work. If you’re unfamiliar, Scentbird is a perfume subscription service and they even have it for men! Holiday gifting gold right there!
My skincare bag is always a jumble of high-quality samples and mini’s I get along with my purchases from Sephora and Nordstrom. These are for the times I’m forced to do a full face reapplication or spend the night away from home! My daytime winter office scent is Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black. This is my second roller ball of Black. The rollerball application tames the silage on this one so it’s appropriate for sweltering office weather.
My current lip wardrobe is comprised of Fresh, Bite, NARS, and Burt’s Bees. With my Best Bite Rewind, I have mattes in nude pink, MLBB pink, a rich purple-hued berry, and a red. My Bite Mix and Mingle has satin finish brights and the Fresh Balms can be layered for intensity and moisture. The Burt’s Bees is for low-key days or after my makeup has been removed with a wipe on the way home. The NARS pencils are mini’s I got from being a Sephora BI at my birthday in a nude rose and a femme fatale red. The other Bite Lipsticks are limited edition berry shades. This curated selection is seasonally appropriate color wise and provides much-needed lip nourishment. Having nourishing lip treatments with or without color is a must to maintain your glow.
Of course, you need sunglasses that hide a multitude of sins all year long not to mention the UV protection. I’ve got another Bite tin filled with miscellaneous things like blotting linens and a mini sewing kit. My phone is always handy. My wallet doubles as a wristlet for when I’ve forgotten to pack an evening sized bag. I just leave my full sized bag in the car or in my desk at work when I need to lighten the load. I always have makeup wipes with me. I know it might look silly, but gridlock traffic was made for quick makeup removal with a wipe on your commute. I also combine it with my face mist for a full cleanse when it’s absolutely necessary. Wipes aren’t limited just to make up removal; there are great lotion and sunscreen wipes too!
So there have it, my essentials to maintain your glow anywhere! Even if you don’t carry a large bag like mine remember mini sized products or samples are perfect for space saving. In my opinion, the non-negotiables are multitaskers like a balm in a squeeze tube, a face mist, a nourishing lip product, and some very large sunglasses! I hope these tips come in handy for your holiday exploits!
Do you have a non-negotiable “glow” item that you just leave the house without? Let us know ’cause we’re always looking for an excuse to upgrade our handbags!