Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate has to be one of my favorite discoveries of the year. I’d been considering trying a collagen supplement for the better part of a year, but it always slipped my mind. Finally, at the end of October, I got around to ordering some. It’s been a rough year! I was excited to try it and I’ve been using it almost every day since I got it. The recommended serving is two tablespoons, but I only get about one tablespoon a day; that seems to be enough to produce results. The company is very careful not to make any outrageous claims, but collagen is supposed to help in these areas according to the internet:
1. Detox: The amino acids help your liver clean house
2. Skin: Supposed to help with literally everything skin related.
3. Joints: repair and lube
4. Guts: Helps fill in tears and holes in the intestines and helps you digest; Leaky Gut be gone!
5. Metabolism: Muscle development and energy
6. Nails/Hair/Teeth/Bones: Stronger all round. Faster growing nails and hair.
7. Sleep: Amino acids found in collagen help reduce stress and increase your zzz’s
Fine powder easily mixes in with hot OR cold liquids!
This product lives up to most of it’s claims as I’ve tested them. I’ll go one by one to explain what I mean!
1. Detox: Right before I started taking this, my gastro doc was worried about my liver, like a lot. It was inflamed, my bloodwork was a bit concerning, and I’d been sick as a dog for months including being ambulanced out of my home and several ER trips. After 1.5 months of taking this, my liver is normal. My Gallbladder is working better. I have the medical tests including MRI’s to prove it. My doc is surprised but happy. I still have some liver tumors that seem to be benign but other than that, I’m back on track. That alone is worth the $21 I paid for it.
2. Skin: I haven’t noticed too much difference in my face. I think my nasal labial lines improved along with skin density. I’ve been using too many firming products to say, but they seem to be complimenting each other. My body skin seems a bit more dense. The minor amount of cellulite I have seems less noticeable. I’ve noticed my chest looks younger.
3. Joints: I have knee problems on both sides. My right knee is less damaged than the left. The right one feels much better. The left is about the same, but nothing short of a hamstring graft and a knee replacement will help that side. My meniscal tears and strains on the right seem much healed. This 15-year-old damage. My right knee is at least 50% better. Again, worth the $21 price.
4. Guts: Well hello there better digestion! I have much better digestion, less cramping, fewer gas bubbles, and FODMAPS bother me way less. I even noticed a minor reduction in gastric issues due to my food allergies. I can now eat a few bites of old favorites like cheesecake with no ill feelings. I’m sure it’s still causing some inflammation so I won’t be off the wagon entirely. Peanuts and eggs by themselves are still out, but I no longer worry about a few bites of desserts or fresh pasta. Of course, my husband is not happy because this means I’m more likely to ask for a bite of his food when we eat out or to split a dessert. As you can see, totally worth the expense.
5. Metabolism: I haven’t noticed any real gains here. I did lose a few pounds at first combined with diet, but I packed them right back on with my new ability to eat sweets. My husband did some work by a nice bakery for two weeks and I actually ate sweets this holiday. I do feel more energized 20 to 30 minutes after consuming it, though. The extra protein is helping me rebuild muscle.
6. Nails: My toenails are growing much faster and my nails on my hands are too. It’s almost made my nails so strong they are brittle. Not quite but close. Everything else will take more time to see any gains.
7. Sleep: After taking the collagen in tea, I’m relaxed but also energized. I do notice I sleep better on nights I take it. I mix it with a sleep tea for maximum effect. When I take it with green tea in the AM, I feel relaxed but ready to roll.
I have a lot of health problems so Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate has made a marked improvement in my health and wellbeing. If you are very healthy, you might not notice it. I can feel my body craving it when I forget it. I absorb the protein fast and I feel nourished. I use it also as a snack. I just make a cup of tea with Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate and I’m good until my next meal. It’s got six grams of protein per tablespoon so it’s a great way to add more protein to your diet without radically increasing bulk or calories. Needless to say, I love it!
Product rating: A+
Have you tried Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate? Maybe another collagen product? Let us know what you thought if you have tried one!